The “emergent” worker crosses all boundaries of age, education, industry and company size, but IT workers are among the most emergent, according to Spherion. Here’s how emergent workers differ from traditional employees:
- Commits for the long term.
- Wants employer to provide the career path.
- Concerned with security, stability and clear direction.
- Wants rewards based on seniority.
- Thinks changing jobs can damage career.
- Defines loyalty as longevity.
- Commits to perform now.
- Wants responsibility for career path.
- Concerned with opportunities for learning and growth.
- Wants rewards based on performance.
- Thinks changing jobs can enhance career.
- Defines loyalty in terms of work contribution.