The fifth generation of wireless technology (5G) promises lightning-fast speed, low latency, and the capacity to carry a high number of connections simultaneously. 5G will permit an exponential increase in data speeds that will change how people interact with the Internet, inspiring an array of innovations and new services.
Most of the focus until now has been on four key use cases that 5G will enable:
- Enhanced mobile broadband – 5G’s high speed, low latency, and high capacity will enable on-the-go HD video, virtual reality, and other advanced applications.
- IoT – 5G will unlock the huge potential of the emerging Internet of Things by enabling more simultaneous connections at low power.
- Mission-critical control – 5G has the potential to deliver much lower latency than what came before.
- Fixed wireless access – 5G is capable of delivering very high speeds — more than 100 Mbps in the home — which makes it a more than adequate alternative to wired broadband in many contexts.
Leveraging 5G will require many companies to adjust their mindset somewhat; those that make the shift the quickest, storming boldly forward rather than waiting for some kind of herd consensus to bubble forth will doubtless stand the best chance of gaining a competitive advantage — the old “first in, first to win” scenario.
On April 3, 2019, ITWC CIO and Chief Content Officer Jim Love and a TELUS 5G expert will be exploring both the opportunities and the challenges of 5G as well as what actions companies must take in order to secure their place among the leading 5G adopters. In “Are you ready for 5G?” Love and his guest will be delving into such topics as:
- What 5G is and why it’s a game-changer
- When it will be available in Canada
- 5G-enabled use cases (enhanced mobile broadband, IoT, mission-critical control, fixed wireless access)
- The two flavours of 5G (low- to mid-band versus high spectrum)
- Steps to help your organizations take advantage faster
You are invited to attend this complimentary webinar to evaluate the opportunities of 5G for your organization. Register now and share this invitation with your colleagues.