Putting a Band-Aid on e-health

When it comes to moving towards electronic innovation, Ontario’s health care sector is lagging, according to the chief executive officer for the province’s Smart Systems for Health.

“Everything in the health care sector is poorly automated,” Mike Connolly told delegates recently at Showcase Ontario – the provincial government’s annual I&IT event. “It is the most poorly automated sector there is.

“If you go to a doctor’s office today, or you go to a hospital, it may look automated. There may be a computer on their desks, but that computer is being used for things like patient scheduling and billing OHIP. It’s not being used to look at your personal health record.”

Connolly said the province has realized there is a need to automate the health sector. The first group to undergo the automation process will be those involved in health care service delivery. This includes independent doctor’s offices and hospitals.

“We need to do that [because] 80 per cent of the health information for an individual is in their doctor’s office in paper files. The majority of the other 20 per cent if in the hospitals’ paper files.”

Connolly said that by November there will be a “fairly large announcement” regarding a physician’s portal that will offer 17 sets of free services. In addition, there will be a clinical management system that will allow doctors to move from a paper-based practice to an automated practice “at a reasonable price.”

One of the reasons the health care sector has been so slow to jump on the automation bandwagon is that no one in the health community has made a major step towards electronic records. Connolly said doctors haven’t made use of technology because labs, pharmacies and hospitals haven’t either. If a doctor did choose to utilize technology then they were just automating “their own little world.”

However, with the province’s new vision towards technology in health, Connolly is confident that things will change.

“We’ve got a great strategy in Ontario,” he said.

Would you recommend this article?


Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you think of this article!
We'd love to hear your opinion about this or any other story you read in our publication.

Jim Love, Chief Content Officer, IT World Canada

Featured Download

Previous article
Next article

Featured Articles

Empowering the hybrid workforce: how technology can build a better employee experience

Across the country, employees from organizations of all sizes expect flexibility...

What’s behind the best customer experience: How to make it real for your business

The best customer experience – the kind that builds businesses and...

Overcoming the obstacles to optimized operations

Network-driven optimization is a top priority for many Canadian business leaders...

Thriving amid Canada’s tech talent shortage

With today’s tight labour market, rising customer demands, fast-evolving cyber threats...

Staying protected and compliant in an evolving IT landscape

Canadian businesses have changed remarkably and quickly over the last few...

Related Tech News

Tech Jobs

Our experienced team of journalists and bloggers bring you engaging in-depth interviews, videos and content targeted to IT professionals and line-of-business executives.

Tech Companies Hiring Right Now