Hitachi completes purchase of IBM drive business

Hitachi Ltd. this week completed its purchase of the majority of IBM Corp.’s hard disk drive manufacturing business for US$2.05 billion, IBM said in a statement.

Hitachi paid 70 per cent of the purchase price Tuesday, with the remaining 30 per cent to be paid to IBM over a three-year period, IBM said. Under the agreement, Hitachi will form a new company called Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, based in San Jose.

IBM, in Armonk, N.Y., and Tokyo-based Hitachi announced in April their intention to create the new company from the two companies’ hard disk drive divisions. IBM said at the time it wanted to focus on other areas of the storage market.

Both the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and the European Commission had to sign off on the deal before it could be completed. [Please see FTC approves IBM HDD sale to Hitachi.]

The comanies can be found online at and

Would you recommend this article?


Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you think of this article!
We'd love to hear your opinion about this or any other story you read in our publication.

Jim Love, Chief Content Officer, IT World Canada

Featured Download

Related Tech News

Our experienced team of journalists and bloggers bring you engaging in-depth interviews, videos and content targeted to IT professionals and line-of-business executives.

Featured Reads