The Android Operating System
For recent Android news articles, please > click here <
Consumers have become very educated when it comes to the technology purchases they make for business and personal use. We are well beyond the point where users will go out any purchase a computer, smartphone, or mobile device without first researching very specific details about the product such as the operating system and they can use these devices in conjunction with other products.
While they may not have been part of the decision making process in the past, more and more users are taking a device operating system into consideration when making a purchase. One operating system that has become very popular is Android.
What is Android?
Android is an operating system that was developed for mobile devices. It is not used for desktop or laptop computers and is used only for smartphones and tablets.
The following is a brief history of the development of the android operating system:
- In 2005 Google purchased the software developer Android inc.
- In 2007 Android distribution was announced in conjunction with Open Handset Alliance
- Google released the majority of the code through a free software license
- The AOSP (Android open source project) maintains and work on the future development of Android
Since it is open source, Android has a large number of third party developers that continuously write new apps for the operating system. These apps, which can be downloaded from many different websites online, and from online stores such as Android market, help to enhance the functionality of the mobile devices.
Android is equipped with a number of features that makes it attractive to both individual and business users. They include:
- An integrated internet browser: This open source browser allows users to access the internet in the same way they would on a computer.
- App integration: Android allows users to download third party apps that can be used for gaming, entertainment, news, and many other functions.
- Wireless integration: Android allows users to wirelessly connect to the internet through WI-FI, Bluetooth, 3G, EDGE, and a number of other connection methods.
- Diverse media capabilities: Android supports most of the commonly used video, image, and audio formats much as MP3, JPG, and PNG.
- Data Storage: Data can be stored through SQLite, which is a relational database
- Messaging: Android supports both SMS and MMS forms of messaging.
- Language: Android can support a number of commonly used languages
- Java Script support: The majority of Android applications are written in Java programming language
- Video calling: This is available in some mobile devices that have a customized version of the Android operating system.
- Streaming video: Android support streaming video capabilities through a Flash plug in
- Multi touch: Touch screen capabilities are available for mobile devices such as tablets.
- Tethering abilities: Android allows mobile devices to act as a pseudo WI-FI hotspot for both wired and wireless connections.
- Voice Features: Users can take advantage of voice functionality such as voice calling, navigation and texting.
- Multitasking: Android supports the multitasking capabilities of a number of applications simultaneously.
Android also supports many other hardware components that increase mobile devices functionality. The operating system can be used for:
- Act as a number of types of sensors
- 2D and 3D graphics
- A gaming control
Since it uses open source programming and has a considerable amount of flexibility and functionality, Android can is used by many mobile phone manufacturers and developers, allowing it to be widely distributed and used in many different ways by many different users.
Friday, May 17, 2013Pentagon approves devices running Apple iOS6 The U.S. Defense Department okays government-owned handsets and tablets running the operating system, along with BlackBerry and Samsung's Knox
Monday, May 13, 2013Android, Chrome to stay separate for now Google will continue to invest separately on Android and Chrome, according to Sundar Pichai
Wednesday, May 01, 2013Tibco updates its Tibbr mobile app New features include better ways to discover people and business processes. It's also available on a wider number of mobile devices
Tuesday, April 23, 2013Calgary provider expands to MDM Intriga Mobility has added mobile device management to its cloud-based cellular device managed services for enterprises
Friday, April 19, 2013Canadian Tire to buy thousands of new BlackBerrys Company to equip managers with Z10 and Q10 handsets for its general merchandise, clothing and sports stores
Wednesday, April 17, 2013Foxconn to pay Microsoft for Android devices it makes? Foxconn is among the largest companies bagged by Microsoft in its campaign to force makers of Android devices to license its patents
Tuesday, April 09, 2013McAfee offers whitelisting solution for Android Embedded Control runs in the Android kernel and provides continues detection of unauthorized or out-of-policy setting changes
Monday, April 08, 2013Mobile trend hurts IE, Firefox Internet Explorer still accounts for largest desktop usage but its weak mobile presence has hurt its overall standing
Tuesday, April 02, 2013Android do’s and don’ts for business users The use of Android software in the enterprise is relatively new. Here are a few guidelines for businesses considering to use the platform
Monday, April 01, 2013BlackBerry planning phablets, widescreen tablet? Leaked roadmap reveals three new BlackBerry 10 devices may be appearing in shelves by next year
Friday, March 15, 2013BlackBerry Z10 harvesting iPhone, Android users Z10 still faces an uphill battle in capturing the U.S. market which accounts for 20 per cent of the company’s subscriber base, says RBC Capital Markets
Thursday, March 14, 2013BlackBerry MDM solution for iOS, Android out soon Called Secure Work Space, it will do for other operating systems what Balance does for BlackBerrys -- separate work from personal data
Tuesday, March 05, 2013Google too powerful in China: industry ministry As much as 97.7 per cent of Chinese-made smart phones use Google’s Android mobile operating system, according to the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology
Thursday, February 28, 2013Government-grade security for Android phones General Dynamics wants to bring encrypted voice calls, secure emailing and Web browsing as well as classified network access to consumer smart phones
Friday, February 15, 2013BlueStacks for Windows 8 needs work The beta version of the Android emulator for Windows 8 devices fills the app gap for the OS but more work needs to be done to improve its features
Friday, February 15, 2013Linux PengPod tablets, mini PC now shipping Here's a quick look at some of the basic features of two new Linux-powered tablets and a USB sized mini PC that hit the market this month
Thursday, February 14, 2013Organizations taking longer to detect breaches: report It took some companies up to 210 days to discover an intrusion, according to a report by Trustwave Inc.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013Luxury Android phone from Vertu costs $10,657 Price for the titanium-framed, 4G-enabled, sapphire touchscreen handset doesn’t even include wireless contract
Wednesday, February 06, 2013First Android malware targeting PCs uncovered? Security technicians from Kaspersky Labs say they have discovered an Android malware that attacks computers
Thursday, January 31, 2013Smart phones a smart way to monitor patients, conference told Handsets loaned to patients can help hospitals cut cost and improve out-patient care, attendees at a mobile health care conference learned
Wednesday, January 23, 2013Dell coming up with thumb-sized computer Dell is planning to release this year, an ARM-powered computer that’s about the size of a USB stick
Wednesday, January 23, 2013BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 now available Business users can now download RIM’s new enterprise mobility management software for BlackBerry, iOS and Android devices
Tuesday, January 22, 2013Hartung: Poor holiday season spells game over for Microsoft Well-known business strategist Adam Hartung says Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's obsession with the fight to save Windows is dooming the company
Monday, January 21, 2013BlackBerry App World gets a name change Research in Motion’s mobile app store gets a rebrand as company prepares for the BB 10 launch
Friday, January 11, 2013Panasonic releases new enterprise grade tablets The ruggedized 10-inch Window 8 Pro-based and seven-inch Android-powered tablets come packed with features and a hefty price tag