For recent VMWare news articles, please > click here <
Virtualization is a growing trend that many companies in Canada are looking to utilize. In a general sense, it is the development of a virtual version of computing component or processing that previously physical existed. Examples of this include computer hardware, operating systems as well as storage and network capabilities. One company that that offers a number of virtualization products, services, and solutions is VMWare.
Based out of Palo Alto, California and founded in 1998, VMWare is a technology company that helps to speed up company’s transition to cloud computing and virtualization technologies in a manner that allows them to preserve current IT and technology. The companies Canadian Headquarters is located in Burlington Ontario.
Serving almost 200,000 customers and with more than 25,000 partners, the company offers virtualization software and solutions to companies of all shapes and sizes, including:
- Sole proprietors and individuals
- Small and medium sized businesses
- Large enterprises
VMWare offers a number of industry specific solutions to:
- Government agencies
- Educational institutions
- The healthcare industry
- Not for profit organizations
- Hosting providers and internet companies
Since 2004, when it was acquired by EMC Corporation, VMWare now operates as a separate software subsidiary.
VMWare partner network
With literally thousands of technology partners, VMWare offers many unique and custom business solutions for its customers. Here are some of the most notable partners that utilize VMware virtualization technologies:
- Hewlett Packard
VMware offers a number of specific virtualization solutions to its customers. They include:
- Datacenter solutions: These solutions include server consolidation, efficient server management, downtime management, and security and compliance strategies.
- Enterprise and SMB solutions: These solutions help enterprises efficient spend budget resources and create flexibility and efficient in terms of virtualization solutions.
- Desktop solutions: These solutions include desktop deployment, migration with applications, desktop virtualization, and solutions related to the management of remote virtual desktops.
- Cloud infrastructure solutions: VMware offers a number of cloud based solutions depending on your company’s needs. They include private cloud, public cloud, and hybrid cloud solutions.
VMware offers three main services to its customers. They include:
- Certification services: There are three certification options offed. They include VMware certified professional (VCP), VMware certified advanced professional (VCAP), and VMware certified design expert (VCDX).
- Education services: VMware offers a number of educational training services to its customers. Education streams include system administrator, IT architect, desktop administrator, and Operator, all of which can be delivered in a classroom setting, online, onsite, and self-paced.
- Consulting services: Professional consulting services are provided from start to finish for all virtualization and cloud needs. This includes the assessment, planning, building, and management of a custom solution.
VMware offers a wide variety of products to its customers. Product categories include:
- Datacenter and cloud infrastructure: Some of these products include vSphere, vCenter Operations Management Suite, VCloud Director and vShield.
- SMB products: Some of these products include Zimbra, Fusion, vCenter Protect Essenials Plus, and vSphere Storage Appliance.
- Consumer desktop products: These products include Fusion and Workstation.
- End user computing products: These products include View, ThinApp, Player, Workstation, SlideRocket, and Mobile Virtualization Platform.
- Security products: These products are part of the vShield product family and include the vShield app, app with data, Edge, and Endpoint.
- Application platform products: These products are part of the vFabric product family such as TC server, GemFire, Hyperic, RabbitMQ, SQLFire, and data director.
- Application management products: These products include vFabric Application Performance Manager, AppDirector, AppSpeed, and Studio.
- IT business management products: This includes the IT Business Management Suite, Chargeback Manager, and Service Manager.
- Operations management products: These products include vCenter CapacityIQ, Site Recovery Manager, and the vCenter product family.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013News briefs April 23, 2013 New switches and access points from Fortinet, an upgrade to Avaya’s network fabric and VMware updates its Socialcast enterprise social networking tool
Tuesday, April 16, 2013Red Hat OpenStack distribution near final release Company says commercial version for enterprises should be ready in July. It also starts an early adopter and partner programs to give customers confidence in the technology
Wednesday, April 03, 2013HotLink cloud app now works with Microsoft Hybrid Express, which links public to private clouds, now works through System Center and plugs into Amazon EC2. There's also a free version
Tuesday, April 02, 2013Canadian provider adds VMware-based public clouds Peer 1 Hosting's new Mission Critical Cloud offers infrastructure as a service for customers who want redundant backup, replication and blueprinting
Monday, March 04, 2013IBM fully behind OpenStack for clouds Company is now willing to develop products around the technology to help enterprises develop public and private clouds. One analyst says this will sting VMware
Monday, March 04, 2013News briefs for March 4, 2013 Dell and VMware deliver a pre-configured server/storage system, Riverbed products work with VMware View, a Canadian company’s latest mobile update to help people with speech problems and Avaya’s virtual learning campus
Tuesday, February 12, 2013VMware to buy storage virtualization specialist Acquisition of Virsto brings storage hypervisor to VMware at a time when storage is increasingly important in the data centre
Tuesday, February 12, 2013Intel unveils SSD software for Linux servers Intel obtained its SSD-based Cache Acceleration Software technology from its buyout of Canadian startup Nevex Virtual Technologies
Friday, February 01, 2013How VMware saved $2 million with BYOD The virtualization vendors bucked the trend of costly BYOD implementation by actually realizing some savings. Here’s how they did it
Wednesday, January 23, 2013VMware invests US$ 30 million in Puppet Open source operations management firm Puppet Labs has strong customer base overlap with VMware
Tuesday, January 22, 2013Ottawa company goes after VMware’s vCloud Director Embotics makes offer to lure disgruntled Lab Manager customers to take its V-Commander cloud management platform
Thursday, December 20, 2012Patch released for VMware vulnerability The vulnerability affects both the VMware View connection server and the View security server
Wednesday, December 12, 2012Microsoft patches IE10, Windows 8, Word The company has patched a total of 12 vulnerabilities in its software this week, nine of them critical
Tuesday, November 06, 2012Hacker rampage reportedly tied to Anonymous Several companies and a U.S. government department have been targeted in an apparent hacker "celebration" of Guy Fawkes day
Monday, September 24, 2012OpenStack reaches milestone, launches foundation Leaders of the open source cloud platform in a Q&A about the group's goals. Also, should VMware have been given a seat at the table?
Thursday, September 20, 2012New VMware management, security tools coming Company official gives a heads up to Canadians on what's coming at next month's VMWorld Europe conference. Plus, how the Patriot Act is hindering cloud infrastructure here
Thursday, August 30, 2012Why VXLAN is gaining traction Sometimes looking around vendor booths at a conference is as valuable as the conference itself. That's what one editor found at VMworld
Thursday, August 30, 2012VMworld: CEO panel on cloud security Security is still a big challenge in virtualized environments, vendor heads tell conference. But they suggest there are ways to meet it without walling off business
Wednesday, August 29, 2012Will OpenStack welcome VMware? IT WORLD CANADA CURATED: VMware has applied to join the open source cloud computing platform's foundation, but the board didn't get to consider it. Is there a problem?
Wednesday, August 29, 2012VMware gives peek at workspace in a cloud On the second day of VMworld the company shows a suite that can offer separate personal and business workspaces for staff on the go
Tuesday, August 28, 2012VMworld: New CEO, cloud suite, pricing model Conference report: Listening to unhappy customers, the company returns to CPU-based licencing. Incoming chief admits pricing by vRAM is now a 'dirty word'
Monday, August 27, 2012Riverbed integrates Stingray into provisioning app At VMWorld, Riverbed says its load balancer will now be able to integrate with VMware's vFabric Application Director
Monday, August 27, 2012Mitel, Vidyo team on videoconferencing Mitel Networks says it will soon give users of its Unified Communicator Advanced suite the ability to connect to Vidyo end points
Friday, August 24, 2012VMware releases Fusion 5 IT WORLD CANADA CURATED The company says the new product is aimed at users who are increasingly using Mac hardware in a Windows business environment
Wednesday, August 22, 2012Embedding EMC technology in vSphere 'kick in the groin' to partners, SP says IT WORLD CANADA CURATED: One solution provider says VMWare will face a "nerd riot" at its conference over the integration of owner EMC's backup technology in its flagship virtualization product