Most employees continue to give a ringing endorsement to the office desk phone. Avaya’s 2019 State of the Desktop Report shows that the desktop device is still an essential element of business communications.
The research, based on a survey of 1,200 full-time workers, found that over half of workers use their desktop as their primary device. When asked what device they would prefer, a desktop telephone with a cordless handset was the top choice.
Overall, the study shows that the workers today want a customizable desktop phone that acts as a smart multimedia communications station, and that works seamlessly with their mobile devices. Employees are also interested in the potential of artificial intelligence to automatically enhance audio and video quality.
While mobile employees prefer to use mobile devices, three out of four employees work in some type of fixed office. “It is important for CIOs to develop a desktop experience plan that provides employees with the communication tools that work best for each of these particular situations,” says the report.
The advantages of desktop phones
Many would argue that there is more of a need now for office phones than ever before. The study identified the top benefits of desktop phones:
- Audio quality – There have been incredible advancements in mobile and IP communication over the past number of years. Traditional phones still offer the best calling experience, with comfortable handsets and consistent, top-quality sound.
- Ease of use – Push-button navigation makes for simplified call management. These buttons make it easy to perform key functions like muting a call, transferring callers, or putting them on hold. Office phones also make it easy for large groups to join a conference.
- Focus and productivity – Mobile devices can be very distracting, with a simple call turning into a longer session of checking personal email, surfing the web, and fiddling around on apps. By encouraging workers to use office phones, companies can reduce time waste. The research also shows that employees see the ability to personalize the phone as a way to increase productivity.
The high reliability of office phones was another key benefit, given the tendency of even the most highly regarded mobile devices to run out of power or malfunction at critical times. Workers also liked the professional look of a modern phone on their desks.
Avaya’s goal has always been to bring the smartphone experience to the employee desktop phone in a way that makes sense, both practically and financially, for any business. It seeks to enable productivity and collaboration, while incorporating future innovation. This can be done via Avaya’s iX range of solutions, which offer many tantalizing features, including:
- Mobility plus – Integrated wireless handsets so you can easily take your communications mobile — across campus, to a nearby café
- Superior sound – HD audio and crystal-clear Avaya OmniSound® technology for any size meeting room
- Huddle rooms – An all-in-one meeting solution that’s perfect for bringing together a small team of people from different locations
- Rich user experience – One-touch and voice-controlled audio, video and text, and touchscreen access to millions of cloud-based apps
- Face-to-face – Enterprise-class video conferencing between anyone, anytime, anywhere in the world
- “A”-quality headsets – The ability to hear a conversation or presentation no matter where you are. Avaya headsets have incredible sound — and with AcousticEdge Technology, your hearing is protected.
It doesn’t matter whether organizations have an on premises system or use a public, private, or hybrid cloud. Avaya has all possible angles covered in business communications. It offers the broadest business phone and device portfolio in the industry, and can help organizations transform how their employees communicate.
Employees want video conferencing to be easier
The survey shows that workers place a high priority on video conferencing and collaboration applications. However, employees often see today’s business conference room as an “obstacle course” that employees must conquer to collaborate remotely. They want conferencing solutions that are easier to set up and have more reliable sound and video quality.
The report makes it clear that the desktop device will continue to be an important element of business communications in the foreseeable future. Avaya provides powerful and sleek office phones but also with the ability to turn any space into a cloud-enabled video collaboration room. Discover Avaya’s huddle room solutions by visiting its website.
Find out more about Avaya iX devices
Watch: Avaya iX Devices and Phones
Watch: Avaya Vantage
Watch: Intelligent Huddle Room Experience