What you’ll be doing in three years

I have good news and bad news for senior IT administrators: I know what you’re going to be doing in 2017.

IDC says 80 per cent of CIOs time will be focused on analytics, cybersecurity, and creating new revenue streams through digital services. That’s according to a webinar the research firm held Wednesday that Louis Columbus sat in on.

“IDC sees the shift to a service paradigm in IT accelerating, along with a greater reliance on partners, clouds and global sourcing through 2017,”  he writes.

Yes, it’s predictions time of the year. Some organizations wait until December, but a few are already contacting me for interviews.

Among other IDC predictions, by 2016, security will be a top three business priority for 70 per cent of CEOs of global enterprises. I’m not sure why it won’t be a top priority for the other 30 per cent — will they be the ones that think they’ve got IT security licked? If so they will be a) incredibly well prepared or b) incredibly naive.

Also to prepare for: By 2017, 35 per cent of vendor sourcing relationships around what IDC calls Third Platform technologies —  enterprise mobility, Big Data and analytics, and private cloud computing — will fail, causing CIOs to roll out new sourcing processes. If true, one in three of you reading this should start preparing contact lists.

Howard Solomon
Howard Solomon
Currently a freelance writer, I'm the former editor of and Computing Canada. An IT journalist since 1997, I've written for several of ITWC's sister publications including and Computer Dealer News. Before that I was a staff reporter at the Calgary Herald and the Brampton (Ont.) Daily Times. I can be reached at hsolomon [@]

Would you recommend this article?


Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you think of this article!
We'd love to hear your opinion about this or any other story you read in our publication.

Jim Love, Chief Content Officer, IT World Canada

Featured Download

ITW in your inbox

Our experienced team of journalists and bloggers bring you engaging in-depth interviews, videos and content targeted to IT professionals and line-of-business executives.

Previous article
Next article

More Best of The Web