Among the many pleasures of the movie adaptation of TV’s Get Smart is the moment when Steve Carrell’s Maxwell Smart takes a trip to the CONTROL Museum and finds the shoe phone: a portable communications device way ahead of its time.
In honour of the movie and YouTube’s recent Shoe Phones Across America contest, we salute a machine that trumps Apple’s over-hyped consumer product on so many levels:
1. Very little chance of losing the device, unless you visit someone with really nice carpet.
2. No need for an over-inflated data plan from Rogers.
3. Encourages users to sit while speaking.
4. Dress-up style more appropriate for corporate settings.
5. For once it’s the device, not the customer, that gets stepped on.