For recent VMWare news articles, please > click here <
Virtualization is a growing trend that many companies in Canada are looking to utilize. In a general sense, it is the development of a virtual version of computing component or processing that previously physical existed. Examples of this include computer hardware, operating systems as well as storage and network capabilities. One company that that offers a number of virtualization products, services, and solutions is VMWare.
Based out of Palo Alto, California and founded in 1998, VMWare is a technology company that helps to speed up company’s transition to cloud computing and virtualization technologies in a manner that allows them to preserve current IT and technology. The companies Canadian Headquarters is located in Burlington Ontario.
Serving almost 200,000 customers and with more than 25,000 partners, the company offers virtualization software and solutions to companies of all shapes and sizes, including:
- Sole proprietors and individuals
- Small and medium sized businesses
- Large enterprises
VMWare offers a number of industry specific solutions to:
- Government agencies
- Educational institutions
- The healthcare industry
- Not for profit organizations
- Hosting providers and internet companies
Since 2004, when it was acquired by EMC Corporation, VMWare now operates as a separate software subsidiary.
VMWare partner network
With literally thousands of technology partners, VMWare offers many unique and custom business solutions for its customers. Here are some of the most notable partners that utilize VMware virtualization technologies:
- Hewlett Packard
VMware offers a number of specific virtualization solutions to its customers. They include:
- Datacenter solutions: These solutions include server consolidation, efficient server management, downtime management, and security and compliance strategies.
- Enterprise and SMB solutions: These solutions help enterprises efficient spend budget resources and create flexibility and efficient in terms of virtualization solutions.
- Desktop solutions: These solutions include desktop deployment, migration with applications, desktop virtualization, and solutions related to the management of remote virtual desktops.
- Cloud infrastructure solutions: VMware offers a number of cloud based solutions depending on your company’s needs. They include private cloud, public cloud, and hybrid cloud solutions.
VMware offers three main services to its customers. They include:
- Certification services: There are three certification options offed. They include VMware certified professional (VCP), VMware certified advanced professional (VCAP), and VMware certified design expert (VCDX).
- Education services: VMware offers a number of educational training services to its customers. Education streams include system administrator, IT architect, desktop administrator, and Operator, all of which can be delivered in a classroom setting, online, onsite, and self-paced.
- Consulting services: Professional consulting services are provided from start to finish for all virtualization and cloud needs. This includes the assessment, planning, building, and management of a custom solution.
VMware offers a wide variety of products to its customers. Product categories include:
- Datacenter and cloud infrastructure: Some of these products include vSphere, vCenter Operations Management Suite, VCloud Director and vShield.
- SMB products: Some of these products include Zimbra, Fusion, vCenter Protect Essenials Plus, and vSphere Storage Appliance.
- Consumer desktop products: These products include Fusion and Workstation.
- End user computing products: These products include View, ThinApp, Player, Workstation, SlideRocket, and Mobile Virtualization Platform.
- Security products: These products are part of the vShield product family and include the vShield app, app with data, Edge, and Endpoint.
- Application platform products: These products are part of the vFabric product family such as TC server, GemFire, Hyperic, RabbitMQ, SQLFire, and data director.
- Application management products: These products include vFabric Application Performance Manager, AppDirector, AppSpeed, and Studio.
- IT business management products: This includes the IT Business Management Suite, Chargeback Manager, and Service Manager.
- Operations management products: These products include vCenter CapacityIQ, Site Recovery Manager, and the vCenter product family.
Monday, August 29, 2011Mitel, VMware tout virtual desktop voice solution Companies say they have found a way real time communications apps can work in a virtual desktop environment
Wednesday, August 24, 2011VMware now offers a developer edition for cloud service VMware has packaged a free developer edition of its Cloud Foundry platform-as-a-service stack to run on a single computer
Monday, August 22, 2011Start-up releases unified VMware server, storage appliance Nutanix's Complete Cluster puts VMware servers, storage under one management GUI. Each 2U enclosure can grow by adding blocks, each of which is connected to the last through a 10Gbit/sec Ethernet connection
Wednesday, August 17, 2011Fired IT staff created virtual chaos at pharma company A former IT staffer has pleaded guilty to using a vSphere console he secretly installed to wipe company servers in retaliation for his firing
Wednesday, August 10, 2011Citrix buys RingCube for personalization technology The company says its purchase of the Mountain View, Calif., vendor will allow it to offer the personalization advantages of dedicated VDI with the cost advantages of pooled VDI
Monday, August 08, 2011VMware backpedals on price changes after user criticism Some customers complained to VMware that its model would restrict their virtualization efforts by requiring the purchase of more licenses to achieve the same level of consolidation. VMware's new licensing model was introduced on July 12
Tuesday, July 12, 2011VMware to launch cloud infrastructure suite VMware has bundled new versions of its vSphere, vCenter Site Recovery and other products into an integrated suite
Thursday, June 30, 2011Sidebar: 10 apps for Cius Want to know what to load on your Cius? Here's a look at what one reporter believes will be the most compelling applications for the tablet
Thursday, June 23, 2011VMware's Maritz sees 'post-document' era Huge streams of data will define hardware and change IT practices in the coming years, he said. Meanwhile, Maritz added, there will be conflicts over who can control that data and make money from that data
Thursday, May 19, 2011VMware seeks security 'manager of managers' role for vShield Antivirus vendors, including McAfee and Trend Micro, have opted for this agentless approach, with Symantec expected out soon as well. Some analysts are skeptical as others have tried something similar before
Tuesday, May 17, 2011VMware debuts sign-on service for cloud applications The federated sign-on service synchronizes with LDAP and Active Directory so no passwords or user names are exchanged. How Horizon App Manager offers more control over users of cloud-based services
Thursday, March 17, 2011Q&A: The Canuck on VMware User Group’s global board A new global board, formed by the VMware User Group program, starts its inaugural term this year. In this Q&A, the Canadian member of the 10-person team, Scott Elliott, talks to ComputerWorld Canada about the new board’s mission and what it wants to do for users
Wednesday, March 16, 2011VMware's client for iPad awaits Apple approval The delayed client was originally to be released last year. VMware doesn't know when the client will be approved, and so can't say when it will be made available to users
Thursday, March 03, 2011Need to get off of that cloud? A virtual moving van Many in the industry have likened IT's fears about this moving problem to the famous song about Hotel California: You can check in, but you can never leave
Tuesday, February 15, 2011VMWare shows off mobile virtualization on Android MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS: Users can securely seperate work applications from their personal applications. The idea is that enterprises can let their employees buy an Android phone and reduce potential security issues
Monday, February 14, 2011Windows fix on Patch Tuesday 'breaks' VMware software While it's not clear how widespread the problem is, Wolf fears that it could portend huge IT management headaches in the future. Find out more
Monday, February 07, 2011VMware taps ex-Softies to battle Microsoft As Paul Maritz spreads leadership responsibilities, three of VMware's top five officials are now ex-Microsoft executives
Monday, January 31, 2011VMware sales up 37 per cent on continued demand Licencing sales and services revenue now each count for about half of VMware's business, it said. The company expects revenue for the first quarter -- the one that ends March 31 -- to be between US$800 million and $820 million
Monday, December 20, 2010Amazon moves VMware's virtual machines to the cloud The company plans to make the VM Import feature compatible with more platforms for virtualization in the future. The new feature can be used in a number of migration and disaster recovery scenarios
Monday, December 13, 2010VMware to virtualize Android devices for business users The mobile hypervisor will separate corporate and personal data. The technology will work much like a server or desktop hypervisor
Monday, November 15, 2010Cisco expands into desktop virtualization To assure organizations that video and other rich media can work on virtualized desktops, Cisco will start selling thin clients and assure compatibility.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010VMware to offer cloud development environment In 2011, VMware will launch a hosted development environment that aims to ease deployment of applications to the cloud. What's in it for Java developers
Wednesday, October 13, 2010VMware aims to give IT more control over SaaS apps The recent acquisition of TriCipher will form the basis of upcoming products, says the company’s chief technology officer. User authentication will also be a focus
Monday, October 11, 2010New alliance addresses enterprise cloud needs Flexible 4 Business, formed by Orange Business Services, Cisco, EMC and VMware, team up on offering end-to-end cloud computing services. How it works
Tuesday, October 05, 2010Half of VMware customers virtualize Microsoft Exchange A VMware survey also found that SAP and Oracle apps are still predominately run on physical machines